DANK 'N' DIRTY DUBZ REPRODUCTION CONTEST:
After many requests, we’re proud to announce the 2nd Dank ‘N’ Dirty Dubz Production Contest ever! Remix contests happen a lot, but the result in often many similar-sounding submissions that lack originality and rely heavily on the stems provided. In an age where producing “original” music commonly involves recycling ideas and sounds, we are always looking for producers who are innovating, experimenting, and pushing the envelope. So, we have decided to hold a competition that differs from a traditional remix contest and encourages producers to try something new.
1) For this contest, there is no single track to be remixed nor are there stems that will be provided. Instead, producers will reproduce an officially released song from the Dank ‘N’ Dirty Dubz catalog (see the Dank ‘N’Dirty Dubz soundcloud page for all songs released on the label). The following tracks MAY be reproduced, but if they are selected as winners, they will ONLY be released as FREE DOWNLOADS: http://i.imgur.com/88C3v.jpg
2) Tracks should be reproduced using the producer’s own original sounds and techniques. Though sampling from the original song is allowed for this contest, please note that it should be used sparingly, if at all, since originality is the biggest criteria that will be judged.
3) Your goal is not to replicate something that already exists, but to take influence from a song in the label’s catalog and re-create it into your own originally-interpreted style. So, for example, you can make a new deep version of 'Curzed - History X' using your own original sounds or make a filthy version of 'Laney - Hunger' or an acoustic version of 'Demure - Misunderstood' or a hip hop version of 'A-List - Utopia' or a hard rock version of 'Hijinkx - Metallic Vibez'... we're leaving it as open as possible so you can be as creative as you want.
1) All genres are welcome.
2) One submission per producer. Collaborations ARE allowed.
3) Reproductions will be judged on Originality (50%), Production Quality (25%), and Musicality (25%).
4) You may upload a preview of your submission, but the clip may not exceed 3 minutes in length and the download must be disabled until after the competition results have been announced.
5) Reproductions MUST be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by Midnight (GMT) on November 20th at the latest. Please submit tracks directly to us using wetransfer.com or upload the file onto a popular hosting site like mediafire and include the link in your e-mail. Please also include the name of the original track in your e-mail. Please DO NOT send tracks to our soundcloud dropbox.
6) PRE-MASTER tracks MUST be submitted as 16bit wave files with all limiters removed. They must peak between -3 and -5db, so there is enough headroom for the mastering engineer to work with in the case that the track is chosen as a finalist. We also prefer that you submit a playable version in 320kbps mp3 format too, but this is not a requirement.
7) With the exception of samples taken from the original song, reproductions may not infringe on anyone else’s copyrighted works. By submitting your track, you agree that all samples have been cleared and you have the full authority to deliver your recording to the label for distribution.
8) Tracks may only be submitted ONE time, so please double check to make sure you have followed all of the above rules before sending us your reproduction.
1st Place: A Dank ‘N’ Dirty Dubz T-Shirt (first ever pressed) to the producer creating the top reproduction. This producer will also receive the two prizes below.
2nd Place: Producers creating the four best reproductions will each have the opportunity to air any music of their choice for an entire weekend on the Digitally Imported Dubstep Channel, which caters to an average of 500+ listeners. One weekend will be designated to each of the four finalists. These producers will also receive the prize below.
3rd Place: All finalists will be featured on a compilation released on Dank ‘N’ Dirty Dubz. The top tracks will be released digitally on Beatport, iTunes, etc., while others will be given out for Free Download via the label’s soundcloud page. The number of finalists will be determined based on the number of submissions received. More submissions result in more finalists, so be sure to spread the word!
We wish you all the best of luck and look forward to hearing some great reproductions!!!
Dank 'N' Dirty Dubz